I wanted to create a peanut butter ball that did not have the astronomical amount of powdered sugar that is in the typical recipe. The samples I gave out received rave reviews.
1-cup creamy peanut butter
1/4-cup maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1-cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips, tempered
1 tbsp. raw cacao powder (optional)
1 tbsp. finely shredded coconut (optional)
1 tbsp. finely chopped nuts (optional)
- Combine peanut butter, maple syrup, and vanilla in a small bowl. Put the peanut butter mixture into the refrigerator until firm and easy to handle, about 20 minutes.
- Roll the peanut butter mixture into 1” balls.
- Roll the peanut butter balls in the raw cacao powder if using.
- Dip each ball into the tempered chocolate, until thoroughly coated.
- Place each chocolate-coated ball on a parchment paper lined plate and put in refrigerator until chocolate is set.
If using nuts or coconut to top your candy, sprinkle while chocolate is still wet and before putting the balls in the refrigerator.
Tempering the chocolate is typically used for coating or dipping and keeps the chocolate from melting too easily. It also provides a nice “snap” to your chocolate. A double boiler is especially helpful. Alternatively, if you do not want to temper your chocolate, you can store these in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
Makes approximately 30 balls.